Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Helen Reilly. Compartment K (1955)


     Helen Reilly. Compartment K (1955) I bought this book to add to my collection of stories with a railway setting or motif. I’ve tried reading it three times now, and I’ve given up every time. A man is murdered, the heroine’s old flame (now a married man) is mixed up in it somehow, and shelters in her compartment from the prying eyes of the detectives. The police procedure is sloppy in the extreme; not even the fact that this is a romance rather than a crime novel excuses it. Of course the heroine’s reputation is thoroughly compromised, her fiancĂ© dumps her, and the old lover’s wife dumps him. That’s about as far as I’ve gotten, and it’s been heavy slogging, so I’ve given up. I may finish the book some time, but not now. (2004)

No comments:

Visual and other illusions

   Visual illusions vary. Some can be controlled. For example, I find that once I’ve seen both images in a dual-image illusion, I can see ei...