Thursday, September 06, 2012

Overture to Death & Death at the Bar (2 book reviews)

Ngaio Marsh Overture to Death (1939) Set-up: a village in which two aging spinsters compete for the Vicar’s attentions, while interfering in everybody else’s life. Murder: at the beginning of an amateur play, produced as a fund-raiser for the parish’s youth group, when one of them is shot by a pistol connected to the soft-pedal of the piano on which she will play the “overture”. Denouement: psychologically based, far-fetched by current standards because it involves Freudian repressions and such. Characters: believable enough as stereotypes, used by Marsh to make sometimes cutting observations about religion, charity, hypocrisy, naivete, and so on. One of her sharper satires. The novel reminds me of a drawing room comedy written as social critique, a genre very popular in the 1930s (see Noel Coward’s plays). The  “modern” play is chosen against the wishes of the spinsters. Detection: focus primarily on Alleyn and Fox, with a letter to Troy inserted to keep that back-story going. Overall effect: another good Marsh, who in my opinion is under-rated by detection story fans that concentrate too much on the puzzle. **½

Ngaio Marsh Death at the Bar (1939) The title is a rather lame pun: A lawyer is murdered in the
private bar of the pub in a small fishing village. The puzzle is more intricate than usual, and the characters are as nicely done as ever. This is Marsh as professional crime writer: the book is strictly formula, well-done, with enough incidental detail to provide the pleasures of living in a familiar fictional world. I’m not much of a puzzle solver when I read detective fiction, so the feel of the imagined world is important to me. I like Marsh’s version of English village life, and I like Alleyn, despite his sometimes irritating facetiousness. Or maybe because of it. There’s also enough contemporary detail to give us something of the feel of the times, such as a left-wing association  with an endearingly irrelevant run of Marxist jargon. **½

2 comments:

Tim Carter said...

Mr Kirchmeir,

I looked around your site for contact info but couldn't find any. Hence my message via this comment. (Hope I'm not giving away sensitive classified intel.)

Anyway, I'm wondering if you'd check out my Reduction Kickstarter project. The main video is so-so, but my first choice in an ask video is at the bottom. I think you might get a kick out of it. So if you scroll to the bottom you can see what I got up to with Jon.

Anyway, I'm wondering if you'd consider contributing to my campaign - even at a minimal level. It has 3 more weeks to go, but I need to get the "gamers" to believe a little more that it might actually come true.

If this does prove successful, my longer term plan is to also "Kickstart" a boardgame I have done some prototyping with Jon - about the mining industry.

Best wishes,

Tim

Tim Carter said...

I forgot to include the link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/70691618/reduction-the-bug-war-on-earth-sci-fi-game-campaig

Visual and other illusions

   Visual illusions vary. Some can be controlled. For example, I find that once I’ve seen both images in a dual-image illusion, I can see ei...