Thursday, May 24, 2012

Fred has a Friend


Angus arrived some months ago. The first few weeks he had no one to talk to, which made existence rather boring. Now he and Fred observe the humans of the house reading the paper or watching television. Angus and Fred also get to listen to the radio, in fact they are standing on one of the speakers. Whether they have ears in their feet, as some arthropods do, has not been determined. They no doubt converse on the usual subjects, but since I have no idea what these might be for a penguin and an owl, I can't tell you. They never talk in my presence. I can only infer that they discuss matters of interest from subtle changes in expression. Some killjoy has opined that these changes in expression are mere tricks of the light, but I firmly disagree. Both Fred and Angus strike me as eminently intelligent beings, the kind that take great pleasure in commenting on the passing show.

No comments:

Four ordinary people: Quartet in Atumn (Barbara Pym)

Barbara Pym. Quartet in Autumn (1977) Pym seems to be a nice lady who tells stories of nice and not so nice people of little consequence. T...